What type of travel insurance do I need?
There are several levels of holiday insurance cover, each designed to suit a different type of trip. They include:
- Single trip travel insurance
- Annual travel insurance, or multi trip insurance
- Backpacker travel insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Single trip travel insurance could be useful if you’re planning a short city break or your annual family holiday. It covers you for 1 trip to a single destination for up to 2 weeks. These policies tend not to cover pre-existing medical conditions or ski cover as standard, though.Annual travel insurance is for people who make multiple trips in a 12-month period. It usually covers you for an unlimited number of trips in one year. Each trip is usually limited to 31 days, but some travel insurance providers offer policies that cater for longer individual trips.Backpacker travel insurance could come in handy if you’re travelling through multiple countries on a longer trip. These policies cover you for between 1 and 18 months and may be ideal for gap year travel.
Business travel insurance is an extra bit of cover that you add to a standard travel insurance policy. It provides cover for your laptop and other business equipment while abroad, as well as any company money that’s lost or stolen.